Friday 8 July 2011

SHATTERED!

I sat looking at the pelting rain drops. They felt so serene, anointed by the touch of the divine heavens, so chaste, showering the prolific earth with an emerald ebullience. The rain carried an astral fragrance with it; reminding me of the dusty memories lost somewhere in the silvery mist of yesteryears. I looked down; the marble floor below was damp too! I checked the windows. They were perfectly sealed, hiding my room from the outside world. The reflection in the mirror hanging in my room reminded me of a thirsty traveler in a desert looking for an oasis. I looked closer. I could see the fury outside being reflected in my eyes. No, it could not be the outside world being reflected in a crystal lake of emotions. It had to be my inner world, a world that lay hidden from the rest of the world. 

I looked at the photo frame on the table beside my bed. Six happy faces seemed to stare at me with a benign smile. As I took the photo frame in my trembling hands, realization hit me from all the sides. Every bit of me crumbled like star dust. Truth seemed too bitter to digest. Fury, disappointment, pain, loneliness all seemed to flood my world at one instance. Science was proved wrong. My anger was in no way evaporating my tears. Instead it acted as a catalyst.
These were the people I trusted, these were the people who knew about my darkest dreams, the ones who had at one point of time set me free from the shackles of hopelessness and today they were the same people who had bombarded my world in to a zillion pieces. The tender thread of trust had been severed, and I was thrown into a universe of nothingness.  The ones who never understood my words, would never understand my silence, the ones who could not respect my knowledge would never mock at my ignorance! 

Lost in my thoughts, I dropped the frame down. Surprisingly the glass shattered into just a few pieces. The photograph inside remained untouched. After a few trials, I was successful in fixing the glass pieces once again, yet cracks remained. The benign smiles now were unclear. I needed a new frame. This time, a much stronger one that could withstand my tempests of anger and misunderstandings. I had no heart to meddle with the photograph inside or the people in it. I picked up the phone to make a few calls. The rain had just then stopped outside.….

No comments:

Post a Comment